My research focuses on children’s nutritional health, and the environmental factors which influences how children eat, their nutritional status and their risk of obesity and chronic disease. Currently, I am conducting research on the role of school nutrition policies on children’s eating habits and weight status, and the perceptions of key stakeholders involved in implementing these policies. Other areas of interest include nutrition in early childhood (development and implementation of an early learning healthy eating program for kindergarten children), the role of dietary factors in Type 1 diabetes and dietary adequacy in Kenyan children.
1. MacLellan, D, Taylor, J, Freeze, C. Enabling and Barrier Factors in the Development of Elementary and Consolidated School Nutrition Policies on Prince Edward Island. Canadian Journal of Dietetic Practice and Research. In press.
2. MacLellan D, Holland A, Taylor, J, McKenna M. Barriers and Facilitating Factors in School Nutrition Policy Implementation: Student and Parent Perspectives. Accepted with revisions by the Canadian Journal of Dietetic Practice and Research, July, 2009.
3. MacLellan, D, Taylor, J, Wood K. Food Intake and Academic Performance among Adolescents. Canadian Journal of Dietetic Practice and Research. 2008; 69:141-144.
4. Benson, VS, VanLeeuwen JA, Taylor, J, Somers GS, McKinney, PA, Van Til, L. Food consumption and the risk of type 1 diabetes in children and youth: A population?based case?control study in Prince Edward Island, Canada Journal of American College of Nutrition. 2008; 27(3):414-20.
5. Taylor, J, McCarthy, M, Herbert, R, Smith, P. Health risk behaviours among university students in Prince Edward Island, Canada. College Student Journal, 2008;43 ( 2): 255-267.